Health and safety in the kitchen
Follow these simple steps to keep you safe and hygienic in the kitchen.
- Wear a clean apron, tie back long hair and roll up your sleeves.
- Wash your hands with warm soapy water, especially after using the toilet.
- Cover any cuts or sores with a blue plaster.
- Do not handle food if you have a bad cold or are sick.
- Keep pets away from the kitchen area.
- Do not lick your fingers or equipment during cooking.
- When you're preparing food and cooking, always take care and take your time. Never run in the kitchen area.
- Wash all raw food such as fruit and vegetables before using them.
- Always check Best Before/Use By dates on any ingredients.
- Use a clean spoon when tasting food, and always wash it after every time.
- Make sure that saucepan and frying pan handles do not stick out over the edge of the hob.
- Cut or chop food on a chopping board.
- Keep a clean kitchen at all times – wipe down surfaces and chopping boards regularly, and use clean dish cloths and tea towels.
- Clean away spills on the work surface or floor immediately.
- Wear oven gloves when putting items into, or taking them out of, the oven.
- Wrap food waste in newspaper and place in a bin.
- Take care when using sharp knives.
This information was taken from our friends at Grain Chain. Whose information is evaluated by schoolzone.co.uk and www.teem.org.uk.
Please find the web link below for further information