(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Heat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas 4. Line a cup cake trays with 12 paper cupcake cases.
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs a little at a time until smooth, adding a little flour if the mixture curdles.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Place heaped dessertspoon full in each cupcake case and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
- To make the butter cream: Mix the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy adding a drop of boiling water if necessary.
- To decorate: Mix a little green food colouring with a few tbsp of granulated sugar and mix until the colour is even. Sprinkle the sugar over the icing. Roll a little chocolate or brown coloured sugar paste into small oval shapes and place on top of the cupcakes. Roll thin strips of white ready to roll icing and arrange over the rugby balls, then pipe the stitching with white writing icing.