(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and fry for a few minutes until softened but not browned. Add the garlic and chilli (if using) and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the mince and curry powder and cook for 10 minutes, stirring until the meat is browned all over. Add the tomatoes and beef stock and simmer for 20 minutes until the meat is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Allow to cool.
- To make the pastry; put the wholemeal plain flour, turmeric, 1 tsp of salt and the butter into a processor. Blend for a few seconds until the pastry forms into crumbs. Add the cold water and blend again until the mixture comes together. Wrap in cling film and chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/Gas Mark 6. Cut the pastry in two and roll out each piece onto some baking parchment.
- Stamp out 10 rounds using a 5.5cm (2¼inch) saucer. (You’ll need to re-roll the trimmings to make 10).
- Put a generous spoonful of the mince mixture on one side of the pastry round, leaving a 1cm (½inch) border around the edge. Brush edges with water, then fold the pastry over the mince. Press the edges together to seal and mark with a fork. Cut a couple of holes in the top of each patty.
- Lift onto a greased baking tray, brush with egg to glaze and bake for 25 minutes until the pastry is golden, the base is firm and the filling piping hot.