(click on the text to highlight each stage):
- You will need a 24cm round tin
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4
- Melt the butter in a 24cm ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Stir in half the sugar, and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the rhubarb and ginger.
- If you do not have an oven proof frying pan pour the rhubarb mix into a 24cm round tin.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and orange zest.
- Whisk the remaining sugar with the buttermilk, eggs and oil. Add the flour mix, and mix well. Pour over the rhubarb and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre. Cool then invert on a serving plate. Serve warm with custard or cream.