- Skill level:easy
Membership sign upSign up
- 125g 4½ oz Butter (unsalted)
- 75g 2¾ oz Dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 1tsp 1tsp Coffee granules
- 1tsp 1tsp Vanilla extract (we like Nielsen-Massey) Vanilla extract
- 150g 5⅜ oz Unrefined light muscovado sugar (we like Billington's) Unrefined light muscovado sugar
- 2 2 Egg(s) (free range) lightly beaten
- 1tsp 1tsp Baking powder
- 225g 8 oz Self-raising white flour (we like Allinson) Self-raising white flour
- 150ml 5⅛ fl oz Water
- 450g 16 oz Raspberries plus extra to decorate
For the chocolate frosting
- 200ml 6⅞ fl oz Single cream
- 250g 8⅞ oz Dark chocolate
- 50g 1⅞ oz Butter (unsalted) softened
The Method Enter Bake mode
Classic mode Step 1
Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C, gas mark 6) and line a cupcake tin with paper cases.
Classic mode Step 2
Melt the butter in a large heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the surface of the water.
Classic mode Step 3
When it is half melted, add the chocolate. When the chocolate is completely melted remove from the heat and stir to mix in any lumps, then allow to cool for a few minutes.
Classic mode Step 4
Dissolve the coffee in the vanilla extract, then add this mixture and the sugar to the cooled chocolate and butter. When these are fully mixed together, add the eggs and mix in.
Classic mode Step 5
Sift the baking powder and the flour into the mixture and beat until all ingredients are well incorporated and the batter is thick. Then stir in the water a little at a time, making sure the liquid is entirely absorbed into the batter.
Classic mode Step 6
Divide the mixture between the paper cases, filling each about half full. Place 3 raspberries on the surface of each – they will sink into the batter. Then fill each case almost to the top and place another fresh raspberry on top.
Classic mode Step 7
Bake for about 25 minutes, or until each cupcake is firm to the touch or a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Classic mode Step 8
To make the chocolate frosting, heat the cream in a small saucepan, but do not allow it to boil.
Classic mode Step 9
Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour the hot cream over it through a fine seive. Gently stir the cream into the chocolate until the mixture is nice and glossy. Gently mix in the soft butter. Leave to cool completely.
Classic mode Step 10
Once it is cool, ideally using an electric hand whisk, beat until nice and fluffy. Pipe the frosting in swirls on top of each cupcake and decorate with fresh raspberries on top.