- Skill level:easy
Membership sign upSign up
For the starter
- 140g 5 oz Plain white flour (we use Allinson) Plain white flour
- 225g 8 oz Unrefined golden caster sugar (we use Billington's) Unrefined golden caster sugar
- 7g ⅜ oz Easy bake yeast (we use Allinson) Easy bake yeast
- 300ml 10⅛ fl oz Milk (whole) warmed
- 50ml 1¾ fl oz Water luke warm
For the feeding
The Method Enter Bake mode
Classic mode Step 3
Stir in the warm milk and cover the bowl loosely with a clean tea towel or cloth and leave in a cool dry place for 24 hours.
Ingredients for this step
- 300ml 10⅛ fl oz Milk (whole)
Classic mode Step 4
Day 2 and 3; stir well each day and cover again with the tea towel.
Classic mode Step 5
Day 4; Herman is hungry feed with 150g plain flour, 225g caster sugar and 240ml whole milk and stir well then cover again.
Classic mode Step 6
Day 5, 6, 7 and 8; stir well and cover again with the tea towel.
Classic mode Step 7
Day 9; Herman is hungry again, feed as you did on day 4 with 150g plain flour, 225g caster sugar and 240ml milk and stir well.
Classic mode Step 8
Now divide into 4 equal portions, keep one for yourself and give the other 3 away to friends with a copy of these instructions.
Classic mode Step 9
Day 10; You are now ready to make the cake. Please refer to the recipe for Herman the German friendship cake.